S&C is the specialist in high-voltage switching, protection and control, providing products for the electric power industry since 1911. Product Engineering—Fuses and Circuit-Switchers is responsible for the design, application and support of fuse products including SM-4/SM-5 Fuses, SMD Transmission Fuses, Fault Fiter, Fault Tamer, Fuse Links, and Circuit-Switcher products including Series 2000, Mark V and Mark VI, Line-Rupter and Trans-Rupter II. For this role we are looking for a Design Engineer to join our Circuit-Switcher Product Engineering team. The job of the Design Engineer will be to lead project engineering efforts for mechanical and electrical design of S&C’s new and existing transmission switch products. This individual will work closely with the Manufacturing, Quality, Facilities, Prototyping & Tooling and Operations teams to ensure a flawless product line move to our new Palatine facility. This individual will work closely with the Quality, Global Sourcing and Operations teams to address quality and reliability concerns as well as to perform validation testing to qualify parts from new and/or secondary source suppliers. You will need to be detailed oriented and have strong organizational and interpersonal skills to effectively manage and communicate customer needs with external consultants as well as with S&C’s Sales teams. The position reports to the Assistant Manager—Product Engineering – Fuses & Circuit-Switchers.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborate with Designers and Engineers to design new Circuit-Switcher parts and assemblies
- Develop, oversee and execute tests, both electrical and mechanical, according to project schedules
- Work with laboratory team members to perform tests
- Interpret, analyze, and summarize data, identify trends, prepare reports, and formulate conclusions
- Use formal problem-solving techniques to address quality and reliability issues
- Interact with customers on the phone or in the field to resolve design, manufacturing, or application related issues
- Evaluate and provide detailed, written engineering reports on returned products
- Deliver design solutions that allow for stable and capable manufacturing processes which meet targets for safety, quality, delivery and cost
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Component and assembly design and manufacturing experience
- Working knowledge of problem-solving methods
- Good organization skills and attention to detail to accurately collect, summarize and analyze data
- Good communication skills, written and spoken, to clearly present data in a variety of forums
- Must be collaborative and able to seek help, ask questions, and work with diverse team members to accomplish complex technical assignments
- Good PC skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office
Relevant work experience: Minimum of 3 - 7 years of product support, design and development experience
MAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Standing: Occasional, during testing, sample preparation or process observation.
- Lifting: Occasional light lifting, infrequent lifting up to 50 lbs. for mock-up or test sample preparation.
- Walking: Occasional walking up to 1 mile within the company facility.
- Carrying: Occasional carrying of light objects for short distances.
- Pushing: Infrequent use of manual hand truck to move samples or mock-ups.
- Pulling: Infrequent use of manual hand truck to move samples or mock-ups.
- Bending: Occasional bending during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Reaching: Occasional reaching during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Handling: Occasional handling of parts and tools during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
Job Identification - 103383
Job Category - Engineering
Degree Level - Bachelor's Degree
Job Schedule - Full time
Job Shift - 1
Locations - Chicago, IL, United States, Palatine, IL, United States (On-site)
For more information and to apply, click here.